Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Never Been Here Before a.k.a. 33 week appt

So I had a regular check up today at 33 weeks, 4 days that was supposed to be a regular uneventful check up... you girls know the drill... get weighed (only gained 1/3 of a pound in a month - WOO-HOO!!)... blood pressure (which thankfully was normal finally)... get my stomach measured... and listen to Carter's heartbeat, but it turned in to so much more. She asked me how I was doing, and I told her that I'd been feeling lots of pressure and discomfort down low, that I knew that he was head down and pretty low, and that I'd seen bits of (Cary hates this term, but since you posted about yours, Alicia, I'm putting mine on here too... ;)) my mucus plug during the last week. She took me seriously. I suppose because I've done this a time or two. She said that even though I would normally get checked out and have an ultrasound to verify the baby was head down at my next appointment (in 2 weeks) she wanted to do it now. She also said that I should not be experiencing any of this except for maybe the head down part for a few more weeks. Thankfully, Carter looks great, and my fluid levels are good, great in fact. He's measuring right on as far as size, but my belly is measuring a few weeks ahead which goes to show that my fluid levels are a-ok. Then she checked me, and thankfully I'm not dialating yet, but Carter is low, and I'm already 50% effaced. The kicker in all of this is that I haven't had any contractions to speak of aside from braxton hicks every now and then, just lots of pressure, so I don't even have anything to really watch for. So... her next statement was that if I experience ANYTHING that caused me concern, that I was to get checked out immediately. Her next question was when my sister's wedding is. It's the day before I turn 36 weeks. She didn't really say anything about that. Just looked thoughtful. She then put me on pelvic rest for a few weeks. She said she really wants me to make term - 37 weeks. Hmmm... She also said that she could put me on bedrest, but knew that with two little boys, that wouldn't do much good unless I was in the hospital, but she wants me to take it easy. This is all so foreign to me. I've never gone early before. We've always made it up to the week I was due. Watch... with all of this, I'll probably go overdue this time. :) But she was serious enough to get my attention at least. So, I've made the rest of my prenatal appointments. I have one on the 25th, and then one each week after. She said there is no way I'll make all of those, but at least they're made and I don't have to worry about it. Guess I'll just have to see how far we make it, and hopefully it's far enough that Carter won't have any issues. I'm a little more nervous about him just because I know boys tend to have more breathing issues than girls if they are early. Hang in there, Carter. You have to stay put for at least 4 more weeks! Mommy says.

15 comments:

Natalie Powers said...

Oh I'm praying for you so much! This little boy is going to be such a blessing. :) Can't wait to see pictures.

Unknown said...

wow! what is the deal this year with all these early babies!! Take it easy and like I told ALicia...if you have contractions, drink about 32 oz. of water and see if they stop. Keep hydrating and they should die down! We are praying for you all!

KriSTeN said...

hey girl. hang in there... what is pelvic rest??? i know she didnt put you on bed rest but i dont know the difference... i guess i should know that huh??? just in case...
i will be praying little Carter stays put and your two boys are easy to take care of in the next few weeks...
have a wonderful rest of the week and rest!!! :) take it easy!

KriSTeN said...

oh wow thanks. i should have known that. i have heard of that but it just didnt click. LOL
well i am sure you dont need much help getting that baby out...
hope you have a wonderful week.

hey with your first when did you actually "show".? some tell me 20 some tell me a little further along... i dont want to get huge just wondered when i will pop out... LOL

Deborah said...

You guys are definitely in my prayers. I wish you weren't so far away so that we could help more! Hang in there

alicia said...

Gosh, we are having almost the same pregnancy! Crazy and weird at the same time. I will be praying for you. Your doctor seems sweet and understanding just like mine. My doctor has two kids and totally understands the situation of putting me on complete bed rest. She also knows how strong-willed I am. Unless I was put in the hospital I don't know that I could stay in complete bed rest, especially with Caleb running around. You have it rough too with two kiddos. Well, you keep your legs crossed and I will too. We got a hard job ahead of us trying to make these babies stay in longer. We are already having to put our babies in "Time Out" and they aren't even out here. Funny. Love ya and I am praying for you.

Rach said...

We are praying for you! Please take it easy! I can't wait to "meet" Carter, but I can wait at least 4 weeks! :)

Kristen said...

Hope you're able to get some rest, Melissa! I'll be thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am praying for you and Carter, friend. And hey, now is a fabulous time to do some resting up, because you know how tiring those sweeties are when they get here! :)

ryc - I didn't remember that you'd had a similar experience to ours. I'd love to talk about it sometime. I am encouraged that you had a three and now are close (but not too close :) to having a four. Gives me great hope. :)

Unknown said...

Happy birthday friend!!!

fivemjs said...

Hey girl! Glad to find your blogspot!! I see you are expecting another boy! You will have your own football team! How fun!
Love you guys!
Marianne Johnson

kelly 's a riot said...

hi love,

carter is going to be a fighter...don't you worry:) i suggest making it past 35w 3d, BUT, if you do go a little early see the pix of my baby boy for encouragement!!!
miss you,
kel
ps--what did you do for your b-day?

alicia said...

We need a new update!!! Hope you are doing good. Keep that baby in the cooker as long as you can. I am crossing my legs over here too.

Anonymous said...

hi, melissa!

kel and i were talking about you on my birthday, since we're only one day apart, and i meant to send you a message to wish you a happy birthday, but i forgot!! so, here's a VERY belated happy birthday wish! :)

i will keep you and carter in my prayers. i'm sure it must be scary to know your little one may come early, so i will pray for God's covering over him. can't wait to see pictures when he DOES come, though...i'm sure he'll be a cutie like his mom and dad and carson and caden...well, you get the idea! :)

Michelle said...

Oh my I can't believe how fast time went! You are going to have your precious son in a few short weeks!! I hope everything is going okay!!