Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 24, 2007

I'm SICK of the sickies

Caden had what was supposed to be his 6 month check-up today. This was our second attempt, and since he hasn't run fevers and is behind on his vaccinations already, our pediatrician went ahead and gave him his shots today. He had three and with each one, he turned a deeper shade of crimson. Seriously, I have never seen a person turn such a deep shade of red...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Caden had been prescribed albuterol breathing treatments when he had a mild case of pneumonia, which was really just chest congestion he couldn't kick. After doing the breathing treatments a whole week longer than our ped had suggested since we hadn't seen extreme enough improvement, I felt confident that his breathing sounded much better. Well...I was wrong. :( He is still wheezing! That means that our poor baby has now been sick for three, almost four months! That's 2/3 of his life! Not that you would know it most of the time, but I feel horrible for him! Anyway, we have to do his albuterol breathing treatments again, four times daily for two weeks, as well as oral prednisone twice a day for 5 days. Our ped said that if he is not completely better when we visit in a few weeks, we will have to look further into whether or not he has asthma or an allergy to our dogs or something like that. Obviously, having it be an allergy is the lesser of the two evils, but still not a fun thing... So when you think of us, please pray that this goes away, and that this is not something that Caden will have to deal with forever.

Oh, I forgot about his stats. Caden is growing, but not putting on weight as quickly as he probably should be. I suppose this could either be due to his ridiculous amount of mobility, or the fact that he spits up so much because of all of the congestion in his tummy. Anyway, at a little over 7 months and a week, he is 16 lbs., 9 oz. and 28" long(2' 4").

3 comments:

Rach said...

I'm so sorry he is still sick, Melissa! I know how you feel, although Hudson has only been sick for 3 weeks...I can imagine how hard it has been on all of you, especially Caden. I pray that this is just a fluke thing and that Caden isn't allergic to your dogs or have asthma! That is what I am praying for Hudson too! Hope he gets better quick!!

Deb said...

Yikes. Hopefully he will be totally better by then. It sounds like your ped is thorough, so that's good. Do they have a strong allergy medicine for babies? While asthma would be horrible, I can't imagine having to decide what to do with Maggie and Fisch. Okay, I am probably not helping here. I should be saying, Oh, God will take of it all, and I am sure he will, but I am becoming more pessimistic (guess who I get that from!) everyday. I always have to prep myself for the worst, then I usually feel better! I will be praying, for sure. Love you guys. P.S. Staci had a sonogram last week, but I told her I wasn't spoiling it this time...:) Deb

Nicki W. said...

poor caden!
i will pray that he gets better and hopefully it is not asthma. brent had asthma as a baby and little tyke and he grew out of it. so, the little years are a hard with it, but as he grows, hopefully he will improve! or we can pray it is allergies! i am also impressed at his mobility!! tristan has almost figured out crawling, but he gets so so so frustrated that he cannot do it just yet! pretty cute!