Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 18, 2005

Lost my job yesterday :(

My place of business has been making cut backs lately, and yesterday I found out my position was one of them. Basically, my department is being "dissolved" by the end of May, and it's strictly a money issue. This came from the CFO, and I think my VP is taking it harder than I am - she's an awesome lady. They say they are going to try to find another position that will fit my skills within the university, which is slightly comforting. I've been told that a lot of people here think highly of me, which hopefully will help the situation. Really though, their timing just stinks. How do I tell a prospective boss, "Hi, I'm here as your new employee, and you have 8 weeks to teach me what it is I'm supposed to be doing, and then I'll be gone for 6 weeks, at which point, I may or may not decide to return." Doesn't sound very promising. On the other hand, I have to find a position, because our benefits and my maternity leave depend on it, regardless of what we decide to do after Carson is here. I say 8 weeks, because I'm assuming it will take them 2-4 weeks to find a prospective position for me. On top of all of this, I love working for my VP (I'm in her office), and can't imagine working for someone else. I've often said that she is likely the best boss I will ever have. And, yes, we have been considering me staying home after Carson is born - which would be awesome - but it's a little bit painful and uncomfortable to be forced into it. If and when I left, I would have preferred it to be on my terms. All in all, this is just really rotten and miserable, and I'm very sad and stressed about the whole thing.

Please pray for Cary and I as we try and decide what we should do. Also, pray that God will make it very evident which door he wants us to walk through.

Thanks, everyone.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Melissa I am so sorry about what has happened. I think this really stinks and IS stinky timing. UGH. I know how much you love your boss and enjoy your job and I am sad for you as well. I pray that something opens up for you quickly and is a great job that you will enjoy. Are you working now or was it effective immediately?

Melissa said...

Thanks, Lindsay!

Thankfully, whether or not I am able to find another position, I at least have a job until the end of May, so I at least have a paycheck until then - praise Jesus :)

Unknown said...

MARY KAY HERE YOU COME :)

Anonymous said...

Melissa no matter what happens your are a child of the King and He always has your best interest at heart. Isaiah 43:1b-3a

...I have called you by your name;
You are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overtake you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned. Nor shall the flame scorch you.
For I am the Lord your God,
The Holy One of Israel....

There is nothing greater than God.