Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 01, 2009

SOAPing with Carson

Our church is doing a Bible reading plan called SOAP. (Scripture, Observe, Apply, Pray) We read a specific set of scriptures each day, and then journal about it. There are tailored plans for each age-group, including kids, so we've been trying to read frequently with Carson. It's really been awesome. Today's SOAP was particularly touching and hilarious, so I decided to share it and document it here.

Carson's reading for today was Matthew 18:10-14, which is the parable of the lost sheep. (The adult version covers the same portion of scripture, but more of it.)

Scripture:
Mommy: So what was your favorite part of the story?
Carson: When he found the sheep.

Observe:
Mommy: Can you tell me about the story?
Carson: He talked to them (the sheep) and found them and it was good.

Apply:
For this part I talked with Carson about how Jesus is like the shepard and we are like the sheep. I told him that when he does things that are naughty and he feels that nervousness in his heart, that is Jesus helping him to remember that he should be good. Then I asked him what he thought about that.
Carson: My heart is happy because Jesus is in it and knights.
Mommy: Knights?
Carson: Yeah.
Mommy: Does Jesus love you as much as the shepard loves the sheep?
Carson: Yeah.

Pray:
Mommy: Carson, can you pray about what we just learned? (Sometimes this is hit or miss, but today, he just rattled off this prayer.)
Carson: Dear Jesus, if my heart is lost and doing bad things talk to it, (I'm totally tearing up by this point.) and if I am lost, find me, (YES, LORD!) and if I'm stuck in a burning bush, put it out, and if there is a fire in our backyard, call the firemen to put it out. Amen.

I was so caught between full on laughter and tears. I was dying with giggles about the burning bush (which was his lesson in Sunday school a few weeks back) and the fire in our backyard, but I was so touched by his insight about Jesus talking to him and finding him, and even though the bush part was hilarious, I feel like I've been in a few burning bushes where I was more than thankful when they were put out. Lord, let it be!!


12 comments:

Deborah said...

oh, such innocence with children. His prayer melts my heart. Thank you for sharing your sweet boys with us.

Unknown said...

Ok so I started tearing up too and then cracking up. I love this stage of awakening in their hearts to Jesus. Its so precious!

Thanks for sharing!

Denique said...

How SWEET!! I almost was in tears!

Natalie said...

That is so sweet! Thank you for sharing that!

lindsey brooke said...

i love this. i read it out loud to my family... :)

I Heart Faces said...

Hi Melissa!

We just wanted to stop by to congratulate you on your BIG WIN over at our website!! :) Please feel free to contact us to get further info on how you can claim your prize.

We're so happy for you!

~Angie & Amy
co-founders of iHeartFaces

Puna said...

Congratulations on winning your software! I am so jealous!

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness... that was a precious prayer! Thank you so much for sharing it!

And congrats on your win!

Deb said...

How awesome! I love the total dependence on God - must be one of the reasons we are to be like little children. Also, I saw the comment above that you won on I-Heart Faces! Congrats!

alicia said...

Happy Momma's Day! You are a beautiful mother inside and out. Your boys are gorgeous too. Tell Cary I said hey!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Carson!!!!

KriSTeN said...

oh my goodness he is just precious. i love the true innocence of little children. you are doing a wonderful job raising him to love Jesus.
happy birthday Carson!!!!!
wow four years old!!!! i am so happy for you guys. i hope you had a wonderful mother's day!!!